The International Federation of Agricultural Journalists (IFAJ) annually organizes a world congress. Alternately, the congress takes place in Europe and on another continent. After previous editions in Germany (2016) and South Africa (2017) the conference will take place in the Netherlands in July 2018. The congress organization is appointed by the IFAJ at the request of the NVLJ, the Dutch Association for Agricultural and Horticultural Journalism. The conference will hook on to the centenary that Wageningen University & Research (WUR) celebrates in 2018. The congress organization is controlled by the independent foundation Dutch Roots, which is based on the voluntary commitment of NVLJ members and a conference manager who partly receives paid hours of work.
Dutch Roots: small country, big solutions
The Dutch Roots board has set Dutch Roots: small country, big solutions as the denominator for the Dutch agricultural product chains. The starting point for the IFAJ2018 World Congress program and the route towards it, is that the foundation and its activities provide a platform for numerous journalistic productions for (agricultural) journalists worldwide.
The Dutch agricultural and food sector is an international testing ground and guide to tackling global challenges.
Demographic, technological and ecological trends and developments encumber the world’s population with many issues. They lead to challenges for the agricultural product chains, summarized in three umbrella themes:
- Urban Delta
- Smart Farming
- Circular Economy
TUESDAY 10 JULY
IFAJ meeting day with general and board meeting
WEDNESDAY 11 and THURSDAY 12 JULY
Concentrated in the Food Valley (Ede/Wageningen); ‘setting the scene’, providing insight of:
- worldwide challenges
- what are the characteristics of Urban Delta, Smart Farming and Circular Economy?
- how do the challenges affect the right to exist of (entrepreneurs in) the agricultural sector?
- what solutions and developments do the challenges require, and how can the business continuity of agricultural entrepreneurs be secured?
- Dutch Roots, a unique cluster
- with the cornerstones craftsmanship, knowledge, products, genetic material and technology
- how do the characteristics develop and what impact does this have on the cluster?
- what does the cluster want to ‘bring the world’?
FRIDAY 13 and SATURDAY 14 JULY
Decentralized, with tours through the country, visits to entrepreneurs/companies, providing insight of:
- daily practice of entrepreneurs and companies in the Netherlands, in the various agricultural product chains: dairy, pigs & poultry, meat & eggs, arable farming/arable products and horticulture/vegetable and ornamental products
SUNDAY 15 JULY
Breakfast and departure (possibly to post congress tour)